2009. augusztus 4., kedd

2. city: Moscow

Moscow... the capital of Russia, 20 million people: unimaginable.
As a good friend of mine described it before: a whole different planet! I have to say I agree and in a positive meaning! Despite the crowd, I loved the city. Unfortunately we had little time to explore the city and as Obama was also there, the city was full of security and the Kreml was closed. Additionally, I felt bad 'cos I had some stomach problems :( BUT still I really liked the city and I was happy to return at the end of the TransSiberian trip and have 2 more days there!

The huge and new (but rich in history) Christ the Saviour Cathedral:
On the place of the cathedral there used to be a church, then it was used for several purposes during war times (e.g. warehouse), then there was a swimming-pool and now it is again a church.
Some people like it, some not because it is really huge which means it was really expensive...


Because of Obama the city was upside-down :)

The first glimpse of the Red Square... Kreml and Lenin mauzoleum on the right side, Pokrovsky Cathedral in the middle and the GUM on the left side. GUM is a famous shopping mall, mostly with elegant stores. the Kreml...

the Lenin mauzoleum...
the world famous Pokrovsky Cathedral...

the GUM inside.
We took a walk in one of Moscow's huge parks (this one was Kolomenskoye Park).
Believe it or not, Moscow is in the top cities in the world with the most green area per inhabitants!!
the view from the park on Moscow:
Our Russian girls performed a traditional folk dance for us :)

The unique souvenirs... :D
one of the bulidings called Stalin's sisters (huge soviet buildings, Moscow has 7 of it)
I was amazed by the ortodox churches... I loved these onion cupoles... and inside the icons were wonderful as well!!! I was lucky and lot of times I popped into services.
What was strange for me, that in ortodox religion women has to cover their head (and wear long skirt)!


A street in Moscow full with churches near the Red Square:

So Moscow showed us a little of its beauty but more was waiting for me when I returned at the end of my trip.

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése